The Corinth Canal, a man-made wonder, is a waterway across the Isthmus of Corinth, connecting the Gulf of Corinth in the northwest with the Saronic Gulf in the southeast.
Before the canal was built, ships were forced to make the long journey around the peloponnese Peninsula, an area of more than 8,000 square miles. In around 600 BC, Periander, the founder of the Cypselid Dynasty of Corinth, had the brilliant idea of taking ships out of the water and pulling them overland, building a sort of railroad track on which ships were hauled on wheeled wagons across the Isthmus. Parts of the tracks are still visible today. This practice was used until about the 9th century, when ships had become too large for this system.
In 1882 work began on digging out, mostly by hand, the Corinth Canal, which opened 11 years later, in 1893. The canal walls are more than 240 feet (80m) high, with an in-water depth of 24 feet (8m) and just over 3.7 miles (6km) long.
The Corinth Canal is a popular tourist attraction. Large ships are pulled through the canal by small tugboats, a sight worth seeing. Not for the faint-hearted is bungee jumping from a location just under the bridge.